The Boneyard Desecration
- Kaijitsu Ameiko, owner of the Rusty Wyvern.
- Aldern Foxglove, minor noble from Vesicule.
- Kaijitsu Lonjiku, town council member and father of Ameiko.
- Iron Spine the Sheriff of Borderpoint, sheriff of Borderpoint.
- Borderpoint, a town on Battle Coast between the Onyx Cryptocracy and the Scapolite Theocracy.
- The Rusty Wyven, a tavern in Borderpoint.
- The Borderpoint boneyard.
- Skeletons, left by an unknown enemy.
5th day of Diamond, year 54 of the Age of the Great Invasion
- Lucius, Zyindra, Maayan and Shiphrah meet Midge, a gnomish alchemist who also helped out during the goblin invasion of the Swallowtail Festival. It turns out that, while they were covering the milita from the north, Midge was using her alchemy to keep goblins from overwhelming crowds from all points south. Midge joins the group and Aldran Foxglove for roasted boar and spiced vegetables at the Rusty Wyvern.
- While the group enjoys dinner, Kaijitsu Lonjuki bursts into the Inn, shouting in Jadenese. It seems he is looking for his daughter, Ameiko. When Lonjiku notices the party he storms their way. At first, Zyindra tries to calm Lonjiku down but his words turn cruel and insulting. Before long he has insulted both Zyindra, calling her a Tiamat-worshipping harlot, and Midge, suggesting she is a drug dealer.
- Ameiko runs out of the kitchen, still wearing an apron and carrying a ladle of dripping soup. She gets into an argument with her father when it becomes clear that he intends to leave Borderpoint and go to Vesicule before "something even worse happens to this accursed town". Ameiko refuses to go and orders Lonjiku out of her Inn. Lonjiku tries to grab Ameiko by the hair. She dodges and brains him with the soup ladle.
- Lucius interposes himself between Ameiko and Lonjiku, suggesting the man walk away. Covered in soup and faced with multiple potential enemies, Lonjiku spits at Ameiko. "You're as dead to me as your cheating mother!" Then he turns on his heel and walks away.
- Ameiko thanks Lucius and the others for coming to her aid. She adds another free night's stay and dinner to their tab and then returns to the kitchen before her soup burns.
- Aldran invites Maayan back to his room for the evening. She politely refuses.
6th day of Diamond, year 54 of the Age of the Great Invasion
- Sheriff Iron Spine arrives during breakfast at the Rusty Wyvern. He asks the party to gather their things and come with him. It seems that Naffer Vosk, the boneyard keeper and a Cleric of Scapolite, was injured during the festival. He only returned to work this morning and noticed a tomb had been opened. Vosk immediately contacted Brother Zantus who called for the sheriff. Iron Spine explains that the tomb in question belongs to the family of Brother Ezekien, the previous head Cleric of Borderpoint's Temple. He and his daughter, Nulia, both died during a fire that raged through town five years ago. Iron Spine is worried this will further demoralize the town so he asked for the help of "Borderpoint's newest heroes" instead of his own milita folk. Just in case it turns out to be a problem.
- In the Boneyard, they find the tomb is cracked open. The tomb's seal is broken and in fragments on the ground. The party positions themselves and Shiprah pushes open the door, after checking it for traps. Three skeletons lurch out at the heroes.
- The battle is short but intense. Maayan drops the first skeleton with a well placed arrow, shattering the skull. Zyindra's magic boosts the party's abilities and heals a wound Shiphrah sustains from clawed fingers. Midge uses an alchemical extract to goo a skeleton and slow it down, giving Shiphrah and Lucius an opening to flank it. Lucius' rapier decapitates the skeleton. Shiphrah and Kaza work together to drop the third and final skeleton.
- After the fight ends, they begin investigating. Working together, the heroes figure out that a ladder was propped up against the boneyard wall. At least one human and several goblins climbed down the ladder, broke upon the tomb, and stole the body of Brother Ezekien. The skeletons were left behind, pulled from patches on a Robe of Bones. The robe, its magic gone, was left behind. The party also finds a burnt and torn journal laying on the tomb floor.
- The Sheriff muses that the goblin attack on Borderpoint might have been a distraction so someone could sneak into the boneyard and steal Brother Ezekien's remains. When he's asked about Nulia's remains, Iron Spine explains that she was at the center of the fire and her body was never found. The only thing of her's that remained was the journal and that was put into the tomb along with the Cleric's body. Now, he wonders if it is a clue. He tells the party to bring the book to Chask Haro, the owner of the Curious Goblin, Borderpoint's only bookstore. He asks them to tell Chask that the book's restoration is a priority and that the militia will pay for it. The Sheriff also asks the party to keep these event to themselves. He worries that the townfolk will be devastated by this event and will sink back into a depression they are only now starting to climb out of.
TO BE CONTINUED
|Setting • People • Locations • Monsters • Journal • House Rules • Noteboard|